2014 National Assembly Highlights
Over 2,200 O&P professionals gathered in Las Vegas for the 97th Annual AOPA National Assembly, September 4-7. The meeting kicked off on Thursday with 32 Manufacturer workshops and a fun welcome reception sponsored by WillowWood. Attendees enjoyed a free gift from our sponsor, a souvenir beer mug and photo opportunities with The Vegas King Himself, Elvis Presley.
The Friday morning opening session began with an inspiring speech by Adrianne Haslet who shared her personal story and whole hearted thanks and support for O&P practitioners. As part of the opening session we were fortunate to have Ted Thranhardt moderate the Thranhardt Lectures.
Exhibiting Companies rolled out the red carpet and pulled all stops to make the trade show fun, informative and entertaining. Attendees enjoyed refreshments, giveaways and product launches all while received continuing education credits.
Other featured programming included:
- Mobility Saves Lives & Money
- O&P Symposium: Generational Factors in Residency Education
- Microprocessor Controlled Knees Symposium
- Step by Step Treatment Options for Pedorthists
Attendees enjoyed many networking opportunities including: 7th Annual O&P Wine Tasting & Auction, Welcome Reception, Exhibitor Sponsored Happy Hour, Closing Extravaganza, and the Thranhardt Golf Classic!
We hope you will make plans to join us in 2015 at the 98th National Assembly in San Antonio.
Take a moment to relive some of the fun:
Congratulations Award Winners
- The honor of the Lifetime Achievement Award was bestowed upon Karl Fillauer, CPO.
- The Thranhardt Lecture Series winners are:
- Nicoleta Bugnariu, PT, PhD – Functional Performance and Evaluation of Dynamic Response Feet
- Andreas Hahn, PhD, MSc – Evaluation of 1200+ C-Leg Test Fittings in Germany
- The winner of the Sam E. Hamontree, CP, Business Education Award was Mike Mallaro, CFO, CPA – Build a Stronger Business: Megatrends Impacting Your O&P Practice and What You Need to Do Now to Optimize Your Business
- The winner of the 3rd Annual Technical Fabrication Contest was Nicole Gibson of the University of Michigan.
- AOPA has its first graduating class to the Business Certificate Program, Jennifer Porter and Sarah Marich of Northeast Orthotics & Prosthetics
- The winner of the Otto & Lucille Becker Orthotic Abstract Poster Award was Lauren Levey, MSPO of Georgia Tech – Lateralization of Motor Control in the Lower Extremity
- The winner of the Edwin & Kathryn Arbogast Prosthetic Abstract Poster Award was Steven Siebert of Georgia Tech – A Wireless Instrumented AFO to Quantify Ankle Stiffness and Range of Motion
Exhibiting Companies rolled out the red carpet and pulled all stops to make the trade show fun with refreshments and giveaways.
- The winner of the $5,000 Cash Giveaway was Erin Cammarata of CBS Billing & Consulting LLC.
- The winners of the Exhibit Hall Game Card Challenge were Danielle Smith & Taiki Watanabe.
Link to list of 2014 Exhibitors
|ALPSOttobockWillowWood||Ability DynamicsAmerican Prosthetic ComponentsAMFIT Inc.Amputee CoalitionAtlantic Rim Brace Mfg. Corp.Cascade DAFOComfort Products
Fabtech Systems LLC
KISS Technologies LLC
MD Orthopaedics Inc.
Nabtesco Proteor USA
Orthotic & Prosthetic Group of America (OPGA)
Roboticom-Fabrica Machinale Sr.
|Allard USAAmerican Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics & PedorthicsBoard of Certification/ Accreditation, Int’l (BOC)Össur Americas
2014 First Swing Clinic
Five amputees from the Las Vegas area participated in the First Swing Clinic at Desert Pines Golf Course prior to the Thranhardt Classic. The three hour clinic included golf professionals, physical and recreational therapists and the physically challenged to teach, learn and enjoy the challenging game of golf.
One First Swing participant said it best:
“Great program to introduce challenged folks to a life changing game. All can participate at some level.”
Many thanks to the many volunteers and sponsoring organizations that made this event possible!
2014 Thranhardt Classic
On Wednesday, September 3rd in the hot desert sun, fifty-six dedicated golfers teed off for the Annual Thranhardt Classic at the Desert Pines Golf Course. This year, tournament play moved to the day prior to the start of educational programming to allow for more participation. Golfers enjoyed the new competitive games, including the chance to win $10,000. As a rare treat, golfers also enjoyed the company of tournament namesake, Ted Thranhardt and his wife Loretta.
Proceeds from the Thranhardt Classic benefit the inspiring efforts of OPAF and the legislative, research and education efforts of the Capitol Connection to further the O&P policy agenda.